About Me

My photo
Just a meandering soul sharing my backyard. Visit my Flickr page too! www.flickr.com/photos/meanderingwa/

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sunny Frosty Day

Yesterday we started off with an interesting Convergence Zone snowfall. This unique weather pattern ranges in central Puget Sound, most predictably on a line that roughly cuts across King and Snohomish county. While Seattle proper was mostly missed, the area to the north and east (me) was hit with a short lived snowfall. It was pretty and what I call convenient snow. The roads, easy to drive, the view, pretty and temporary.







So here when the skies open and the insulating protective layer of clouds rolls away the temperatures plunge. It did so last night but not before dropping a small amount of frozen snow/rain pellets.

Overnight the wet environment from yesterdays short snow combined with a late precipitation equals solid frozen everything.

Streets are sheet ice and the grass is crunchy. Vapor rises from trees then re-freezes.

There is not much you can do but hunker down and wait for daylight. Proceed slowly and trust that everyone else is of like mind. Happily, I have no place in particular to be today.

I decided to try out a recipe for butter chicken so I walked carefully to the store.

NO one is waiting for the bus.






This frozen tree planter acts as a sundial and says it is Oh Chilly-o-Morn.







I now have a pot of chicken stock brewing on the stove top and a batch of butter chicken marinading in the refrigerator.



North Indian Inspired Butter Chicken



1 lb chicken breast meat

1/4 C fat free half and half

2 Tbl peeled and chopped ginger

6 cloves of garlic minced or pressed

2 Tbl of chopped cilantro ( my store is on recall for all leafy greens so I used dried parsley and a good grind of pepper ~ not a cilantro fan anyway)

3/4 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 Tbl butter

1/2 C no salt tomato sauce

2 T chopped celery greens



Slice chicken crosswise to 1/2 inch strips. Place in 1 gallon zip lock



Combine half and half, ginger , garlic, cilantro, coriander, cumin and cayenne in cup, mix well and pour over chicken.



seal and refrigerate 1 to 12 hours.



Place butter in a microwave safe cup. Microwave on high for 30 - 40 seconds until melted. Allow butter to stand 2 minutes then skim the fat solids off the top. Pour remainder into a medium nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add chicken mixture with all marinade. Add tomato sauce. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.



Stir in celery leaves and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds good! I'm very spoiled by having a very good Indian restaurant just one mile down the road from where I live. You can bet I'm in there quite a bit. If the road wasn't so busy, I'd be able to walk there, but there's no sidewalk and people drive like maniacs along it, so I don't take the chance.

    We actually had sun today. It's amazing how it seemed to cheer everyone up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several in my neighborhood as well. We have a huge Indian population here due to all the tech industry.

    I like making things like this and then freeze it. Easy to put together yummy lunches for work

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to try this recipe. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete