About Me

My photo
Just a meandering soul sharing my backyard. Visit my Flickr page too! www.flickr.com/photos/meanderingwa/

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happy Anniversary, Old Girl

In Native lore Mt St Helens is a woman, Loowit.

She was fought over by Wyeast (Mt Hood)
and Klickitat / Pahto (Mt Adams)
Stories of these two rivals throwing fire and rocks at each other certainly tells of the geologic history of the area. In the book I, have Mt St Helens is the beautiful maiden who didn't act up.


A hole in the stories, since she certainly did and still does.


My pictures from July 2007

You hike starts in the woods at sunrise. Here you are just exiting and getting a look at the land to the west.


And begin climbing
And stopping to see where you have been. A good picture of new flows from 1980


The clouds come and go quickly here

The last 300 yards are like steep sand dunes



Like I said, the clouds come and go


Dome and steam



The west wall with the last of the ice





True summit






Proof




Mt Rainier about 50 miles north. Peek a boo visit



The easy way down




Ash everywhere





Thisw is the video I remember the most. This clip is from a broadcast 5 years ago with some footage I did not see in the original broadcast.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=njV9ski1gB4

and from NASA

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=43999

No comments:

Post a Comment