About Me

My photo
Just a meandering soul sharing my backyard. Visit my Flickr page too! www.flickr.com/photos/meanderingwa/

Monday, February 27, 2012

Z ~ Zonotrichia leucophyrus , White-crowned sparrow


This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite bird photos. 

The White-crowned sparrow is a harbinger of Spring.  The males perch up on shrubs trees and just about anyplace and sing their sweet song...

"I'm a Pretty little bird(ie).

In different regions of North America this birds song will vary.  Sometimes buzzy or rusty sounding, other times clipping off syllables of the phrase.  I think the "I'm a pretty little birdie" is unique to the Puget Sound and Vancouver BC area.

To me it is a sure sign of Spring.  The males should be showing up in the next three weeks or so.

I think they come on the same bus as the Rufous Hummingbirds.


2 comments:

  1. You've finished your nature alphabet! Excellent work and would make a nice book.

    As to landing sites in flowers there is excellent information available that suggests that insects see UV patterns in flowers that provide landing sites or aiming points or that mimic other insects.

    Here's a link if you're interested:
    http://rosettastone.wordpress.com/2006/05/04/see-like-a-bee-ultraviolet-flower-photography/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WILL go back to 'A' and see what I missed!! If this post is any indication , then I am in for an informative 'study'.
    Thanks for dropping by today. I was not familiar with Greyhounds at all till I spent a few moments with Batty.

    ReplyDelete