About Me

My photo
Just a meandering soul sharing my backyard. Visit my Flickr page too! www.flickr.com/photos/meanderingwa/

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sun Day

It could not possibly be more lovely a day.  I needed a picture for my monthly photo scavenger hunt so went over to Montlake Fill. 

The Fill is an old city garbage dump on the shores of Lake Washington, just east of Husky Stadium.  I can remember coming here as a child and wondering where J.P. Patches house was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._Patches

Now the dump is filled and capped.  The University Center for Urban Horticulture is here.  The land has been allowed to return to a semi-wild state.  Students use areas for their studies. 

The fill has always been a Mecca for bird watching.  In the 80s staff members of the UW who were dedicated bird watchers recorded and reported the day bird life of the Fill.  It was a reliable magnet for rare sightings.  Many of us learned all about spotting and watching birds.  It is where I learned our native swallows.

Now the grasses grow high and the ponds are secluded.  I easily lose my way as paths dip twist and turn.  Before it was wide and open, now trees have matured and you lose some of your bearings.

So I got my needed photo ( subject "dog house" )  A toughie.  I live in an apartment,  Who uses Dog Houses any more.  But in an AH HA! moment,  The University of Washington Husky Stadium  aka "The Dawg House"



That sorted I decided just to ramble and see what I could find enjoying the sun.


Purple Salsify ~ Common Salsify.  Tragopogon porrifolius


Savannah Sparrow, Passerculus sandwichensis.  The field are filled with these grassland nesters.



Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias  enjoys a bask at the Carp Pond


Painted Turtles love the logs along Union Bay


Over in the horticulture Center Demo Garden


Bees do what bees do.


This one is having a face off.


Cedar Waxwing , Bombycilla cedrorum.  The most beautiful and seamless bird possible.  Never a wrinkle or crease on these birds


A scolding Wilson's Warbler, Wilsonia pusilla, told me I was not welcome in his little territory


No comments:

Post a Comment